RYU GA GOTOKU ISHIN
Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin (released in Japan in February 2014) is a spin-off game set at the end of the Edo period of Japanese history (known as the Bakumatsu period), a period when the Tokugawa Shogunate came to an end and imperial rule was restored (Meiji Restoration).
Sakamoto Ryoma is living undercover, with a false identity, as "Saito Hajime" in Kyoto. One year earlier, on the eve of the coup d'état of Tosa, Ryoma's foster father, the man who raised him, was murdered before his eyes. The only lead he had to discover who the killer was is that he used the Tennen Rishin style of fighting. This is a style used by the Shinsengumi, so Ryoma infiltrates their ranks, becoming captain of the 3rd Shinsengumi unit, in attempt to find the killer.
Big thanks to Kevin Debrabandere for creating a PDF for the entire Ishin guide. You can download the PDF version of the guide here. Please be advised that the PDF is outdated now, but still contains information for the whole game.
This guide is for the original (2014) release of Ishin. The information contained within may not necessarily be accurate for the 2023 "Like a Dragon: Ishin" remake.
In Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin, there are 4 fighting styles: Hand-to-Hand, Sword, Pistol and Wild Dance and each of them have their own unique features and abilities. You can switch between styles by using the directional buttons on the controller
(down directional button)
- As the name suggests, Ryoma fights with his bare fists when using this style
- Out of all the styles, this is the most nimble
- You are able to pick up weapons in the battle area when using this style
- This is the best style for countering enemy attacks
When you press the down directional button once again when in this style, you switch to your equipped "special weapon"
(right directional button)
- Ryoma fights with a single sword
- Does the most damage of all the styles
- You can use a charged strong attack during a combo with this style (for those of you who played Ryu ga Gotoku 4 and/or 5 - it works the same way as Saejima's charged attacks)
- You can defend against enemy weapons with this style
(left directional button)
- Ryoma fights with a pistol
- Has the most long distance attacks out of all the styles
- You can use special bullet types with this style
- You can make enemies drop their weapons with rapid firing, after you have obtained the necessary ability in the sphere grid